Online charset / codepage converter
This page is currently viewed using utf-8 codepage. If you wish to directly copy-paste text into the below form please switch to the proper charset first. When uploading a file, this step is not needed.
If you encounter any errors with this tool attaching the file that causes problems.
From an user point of view, a human-readable string is an array of characters. But, in order to store this text in a computer, an encoding (character set) must be used.
Nowadays Unicode is widely used but there are still many files using different character sets (codepages) out there.
This tool first converts data from the input character set into the internal encoding (Unicode), and then into the output character set. This is what the Character Set Converters are for: convert data between various encodings. One thing to keep in mind is that a character set is not a converter. A character set is a name, a label for an encoding. A type, if you want. A converter is a piece of code able to convert data between two different encodings.
This online charset / codepage converting web tool lets you convert the charset of copy-pasted text and uploaded input files.
Supported character sets (charsets / codepages)
Currently the online charset convertor supports the following charsets:
- cpXXX charset series: cp037, cp424, cp437, cp500, cp737, cp775, cp850, cp852, cp855, cp856, cp857, cp860, cp861, cp862, cp863, cp864, cp865, cp866, cp869, cp874, cp875, cp1006, cp1026
- iso-8859-X charset series: iso-8859-1, iso-8859-2, iso-8859-3, iso-8859-4, iso-8859-5, iso-8859-6, iso-8859-7, iso-8859-8, iso-8859-9, iso-8859-10, iso-8859-11, iso-8859-12, iso-8859-13, iso-8859-14, iso-8859-15, iso-8859-16
- windows-125X series: windows-1250, windows-1251, windows-1252, windows-1253, windows-1254, windows-1255, windows-1256, windows-1257, windows-1258
- us-ascii series: us-ascii, us-ascii-quotes
- x-mac series: x-mac-ce, x-mac-cyrillic, x-mac-greek, x-mac-icelandic, x-mac-roman
- Other charsets: gsm0338, koi8-r, koi8-u, mazovia, nextstep, stdenc, symbol, turkish, utf-8